Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wheelchair Costumes

Trick or treat!  What an exciting time for young kids!  It's a little bit of a challenge for a child who uses a walker or a wheelchair because you have to make sure the child can still get around safely with the costume.  


When our children attended school at Fort Rucker, AL, there was an annual costume parade there.  It was so much fun to see the kids and the staff dressed up in their costumes.  When S was in PreK, the staff pulled him in a wagon so he could keep up with everyone. However, he had a wheelchair for longer distances the next year, and mom and dad had some good ideas.  


My husband and I are a great team.  I can come up with ideas, but I lack the creativity to follow through with them.  My husband is a visionary.  There isn't much he can't build with cardboard and duct tape.


KINDERGARTEN (Alabama 2002)
S wanted to be a bus driver.  Not just any bus driver.  He was going to drive Bus #5, his bus.



               


 





FIRST GRADE (Alabama 2003)
S liked ambulances.  His ambulance was complete with a siren.  He managed to wear out the batteries to his siren prior to the costume parade starting.  Apparently, we didn’t take any pictures of the build or I just can’t find them.
























SECOND GRADE (California 2004)
S has always enjoyed farming.  Even now, he still likes riding in tractors with his uncle and his great-uncle.


           


That would be my very creative husband pushing the wheelchair.



[If you will notice, J is a dalmatian in 2003 and 2004.  He was a dalmatian for four more years until he stopped trick or treating.  I got my money's worth out of that mask and a white sweatsuit.]


As S became older, Halloween became a little scarier.  That probably has something to do with his vision.  I always wanted S to be a "head on a platter" by building a table around his head. He wanted nothing to do with that idea because that was too scary.


So, he is quite content to stay home, hand out candy, and wear a t-shirt that says, “This is my Halloween costume”.  That works for me because I can hang out on the couch with chocolate that I may or may not have taken out our our candy bowl; however, my husband misses making these costumes.





No comments:

Post a Comment