Wednesday, August 20, 2014

But that is for people with disabilities

If you have been reading my blog, you know that my oldest son S has Cerebral Palsy along with some other medical conditions.  As he is gearing up for his senior year, we are also preparing to transition him into adulthood and life in the real world.  Part of his transition plan includes, among other things, him being enrolled as a client of DARS and receiving services they provide.  


Imagine our surprise when his comment to us regarding DARS was, "But that is for people with disabilities."  Ummm...yes, it is.  


We have, apparently, done a great job of raising S to know that his disability does not define him. Yay for that!  He also does not want to be known as the person with a disability.  


However, we don't want him to be in denial about his disability ("Mom.  I live with it.  I know I have it. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't need these crutches.").  We want him to access the services that are available to him to help him be successful.  But, I get it.

Yeah, he will be okay.  I just need to go hang out on the couch with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment