Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I thought you were exaggerating.

My son who started college 3 weeks ago is feeling overwhelmed as he creates his “to-do” lists for his classes.  This is what we hear during and after the list making process:

How am I supposed to get all of this done?”
“I have a project and my homework to complete for Statistics!”
“I need to read, take notes, and write an essay.”
“When am I supposed to _____?

Background
My son was homeschooled for 7 years throughout middle and high school.  We knew he planned on going to college.  We prepped him for it.  We made sure he had the classes he would need. We worked REALLY hard to get him to practice and utilize good study habits. 

The challenge my son has in implementing good study habits (setting a schedule, organizing himself, time management, etc) is that he has ADD so these are not traits that come easily to him.  

Every year, every day, we have talked through strategies that might be helpful to him.  We have read information.  We have shared information.  We have asked for input from him to try to figure out how to best help him help himself.  

We have used wall calendars.  We have used Google Calendar and the task list.  We have listed work on a white board in order of priority after talking through the process of prioritizing.  We have talked about reasonable time limits for work.

High School
As S made his way through high school, we continued to stress the importance of having a list, a plan, a schedule, etc. to get his work done in a timely fashion.  This would allow him to have free time which we all need.

As college became a reality, my husband and I told him that the work was going to be more difficult.  It was going to be faster. It was going to be a balance between the classes.  College professors aren’t overly concerned with the fact that you have a project, test, and paper due all the same week or day.

College
Now that my son is in college and can see all of his work up on his 4 month calendar, the reality of the pace and workload is upon him.  See the above quotes.

Yesterday, as we drove to campus, he was telling me AGAIN that the pace is just crazy.  

How are we supposed to learn that quickly?
You are in college.  This is how it is.  We have been telling you that for years.
I know, but I didn’t think you were telling me the truth.  I thought you were exaggerating to get my attention.
Nope.  Nothing but the facts.

I will be on the couch with chocolate, and I’m not exaggerating about that!

2 comments:

  1. I'ts kind of cute that S thought you were exaggerating. With everything you've taught him and how supportive I know you'll continue to be, I have a hunch he'll get the hang of it soon!

    ReplyDelete