Thursday, April 16, 2015

Our Favorite Adoption Books

My husband and I adopted two sons, 16 and 14 years ago.  Each of their stories is as unique as the child involved.  Therefore, we have two favorite adoption books.


IMG_1072.jpg


Our first child, who is our youngest, was adopted while we lived in Germany where my husband was stationed for three years.  We had planned on doing an international adoption from Russia while we were in Germany.  While we were in the process of filling out paperwork, plans changed.  Six weeks later, we had a newborn son.   Our favorite book for J is Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis.  As my husband and I stood in the German hospital trying to read the signs to figure out what floor we needed to get to, we felt like the parents in the book as they stood in the hallway of the hospital.


Our second child, who is our oldest, was adopted at the age of 4 from Bulgaria while we lived in Alabama.  Our favorite book for S is Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies by Ann Turner.  We like this book because it is about a boy who is a little bit older going to his new family.  He talks about having pictures of his new family, house, room, etc.  We still have the little photo album that we gave to S that had pictures of us, extended family, our house, his room, and our neighborhood.  It also describes the boy flying to meet his family and all of the emotions he felt.  The difference is we flew to Bulgaria to bring S home, but I can only imagine that S was feeling many of the same things.  Everything he knew changed, and he had all of these new things in his life.


Books have come and gone in our house as our boys have grown up; however, these two books will always be on my bookshelf.  

You will find me on the couch with chocolate and some books reliving the moments.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies is a new one for me, I will definitely add it to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I will definitely check them out for my boys. Thanks for joining the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww I remember reading Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born when I was a child. I found it in the library and I read it and thought that someday I would adopt. I had forgotten about that memory until now :-) the other one is new to me, so I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about my favorite adoption book, it reminds me of the story of our family. I haven't heard of Through Moon and Stars and Night Sky, it sounds very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Tell me again... great book from along time ago.. Love your blog name!! Yes of course! What else do we do expect sit on the couch and eat chocolate.. I know that's all I do with 4 kids!! all teenagers lol

    ReplyDelete