Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Transitioning Mom

Conversation with J this fall:
"Are you excited that S is going to be done with school this year?"
"Yes."
"What are you going to do?"

Hmmm…
I don't know for sure.  What I do know is that my job as mom doesn't stop just because he's graduating, but I will no longer be an active homeschooling mom at that point.  

S's first year at college will be a transition for all of us, but my job at that point is to continue to guide him into independence since he wants to transfer to a 4 year college either in Virginia or in Minnesota.  

What might I do?????
Once upon a time, I used to be a special education teacher (my degree is in Education of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing).  I quit working outside the home when we started our family.  I loved what I did, but I have no desire to go back into teaching.

1.  The education system is very different now than it was when I taught.
2.  Having had to sit on the other side of the table during special education meetings was enlightening.  I don't want to be part of the system that parents are battling just trying to get their children an education.

If not teaching, then what?
I interpreted one year, and I loved it.  I have thought about doing that.  It will require some refresher courses and some practice.  I have lost some of my fluency.  

I'm also a big fan of advocacy.  As I am on this side of my child's journey, I find myself able to help parents just starting out.  I love to answer questions and direct them to helpful resources. I love to see parents stick up for what their children need.

I might volunteer to see what I want to do.  There are a number of opportunities available in our area.

Here's what I do know....
Although I may not know what I want to be when I grow up, my life is going to change.  I'm looking forward to new opportunities.  S will graduate and start college.  We are excited to see what he is going to do with his life.  J is going to get his license this summer which will mean my husband and I won't have to drive him to/from practice 5 days/week.  At the time S finishes his 2 years at community college and prepares to transfer to a 4 year college, J will graduate from high school and go to college.  Life is going to be very different at our house in the next 3 years.  

At this point, S is one month out from being done with high school.  It is coming quickly!  For now, I will sit on the couch with chocolate and my teenagers while I still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment