Thursday, July 17, 2014

“What’s wrong with him?”

Mmmmm….”I know I didn’t hear you just ask that question,” is what my internal voice says.  My external voice responds with “Nothing.”  


Person who just asked rude, inappropriate question looks at me strangely like I don’t know what I’m talking about.  Uncomfortable silence followed by them walking away.  I’m sure they are thinking what a poor, confused mother I am living in denial about my son.  Except I’m not.


You see, there is nothing wrong with my son - nothing more than any other teenage boy has going on in his life (messy room, oversleeping, talking back, not wanting to do schoolwork, wanting to play on the computer longer than he is supposed to, etc.).  


Does my son have a disability?  Yes, he does.  You didn’t ask me that question.  We don’t mind talking about his disability (see What’s wrong with your legs?).  


Maybe that’s the question you should have asked.  We would have answered that one.

Is it any wonder that sometimes I need to be on the couch with chocolate (and sometimes wine)?

No comments:

Post a Comment